Nuke-Simek: The Cranboyz Pointman!

Monday, June 26, 2023

Yo Joe June, Day 26: Cobra Commander!

 Obviously, my first thought when discussing GI Joe artwork is, comic book artists! However, they aren't the only artists to work on GI Joe. One great example is Dave Dorman! Dave is known for his painting of properties like Star Wars, Batman, Aliens, Predator and many others but Dave's also worked on GI Joe! 

Yo Joe June, Day 26: Cobra Commander by Dave Dorman! 

     Dave Dorman worked on GI Joe during it's early days, doing presentation artwork for Hasbro!He also painted covers for the GI Joe Fan Club newsletter and many of those were used on products like posters, puzzles and other fun item!

 

Dave's paintings have also graced the packages of statues and he's done some comic book covers for Devil's Due! 



While an original painting from Dave is a little out of my price range, I did have an opportunity to get a pencil sketch from him! Most people were getting sketches of Star Wars characters and many of those were on comic book sketch covers. I definitely consider myself a fan of Dave's Star Wars work but that's not what I was after!  

At the time I was working on collecting sketches of the original 13 members of the GI Joe team (that's a story for later!) so when the opportunity came up, I decided to go after the next logical step, Cobra! And I wasn't about to get a Cobra Officer or Trooper from Dave Dorman, so I got Cobra Commander, in his original look! 

Dave had already done a painting for the package art of a Cobra Commander statue, featuring the Commander in his mask, so I thought the helmet was a unique choice. Plus, Dave paints plenty of armor, so the helmet should be no issue! 


 As you can see above, Dave did a fantastic job with Cobra Commander and delivered about every element I could have wanted! So, while Dave Dorman might not be the most obvious choice for GI Joe art, I don't think it could have gone any better!

No comments:

Post a Comment