Nuke-Simek: The Cranboyz Pointman!

Saturday, June 17, 2023

Yo Joe June, Day 17: General Hawk!

This one goes back a few years. Let me begin by saying that Lee Weeks is one of the kindest and most sincere comic book artists you could meet! And funny! I've known Lee since I started going to conventions and collecting sketches and it's always a pleasure to spend some time with him at a con. 

Yo Joe June, Day 17: General Hawk by Lee Weeks!


 Lee Weeks worked on GI Joe in 1990 for about 10 issues. But that's not what led to this sketch. I wanted a really good General Hawk, he is the team leader, so it had to be by someone good. When I started looking at artists I had gotten art from or who I was likely to see again, Lee's name came up! 

Lee has such a solid, grounded approach to characters but they still look powerful and heroic! Sounds like the perfect choice for Hawk! Thankfully, I saw Lee at Heroes Con in 2014 and he was able to do this sketch in my sketchbook! I saw thankfully because Lee is such a modern day giant in the world of comics, everybody wants something from him! And there's clearly a good reason for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment