Nuke-Simek: The Cranboyz Pointman!

Thursday, June 22, 2023

Yo Joe June, Day 24: Snake-Eyes!

 All I can say about Mike Zeck's covers for GI Joe is that they made it all feel real! The energy and emotion on every character's face! The intensity of the firepower and the drama the covers created was just about as explosive as GI Joe could get!

You Joe June, Day 24: Snake-Eyes by Mike Zeck! 

 
Mike Zeck's covers definitely took GI Joe to another level! Mike hasn't visited very many of the same conventions as me but there have been a few and I've talked with Mike, who's such a nice guy, and I've bought some of his prints and gotten some books signed. But I never seemed to be able to get a sketch from him. Either he wasn't sketching or I couldn't make it happen. 

I last saw Mike at the Cincinnati Comic Expo in 2021. My goal at that show was to make another attempt to get a sketch from Mike. I had gotten some amazing sketches and commissions from so many artists from the Marvel days, I really wanted to include Mike in that. Too many creators from those early days are gone and I've loved being able to collect artwork from the one's that I could. 

I was the first one at Mike Zeck's table at Cincinnati and before he arrived, John Beatty showed up at the next table. John asked if I was there to get a sketch and then laughed at me because Mike had no plans to draw. I replied that I didn't mind. I had asked Mike for sketches in the past and he always politely turned me down,  I was just going to give him the opportunity to do so, again.

When Mike arrived, he set up his table and we made some small talk and then he asked if I was there for a sketch because he had no plans to draw. We talked a little more, all about comics in general, nothing very specific. He then explained that if I left my name and number on a piece of drawing paper, he would consider drawing something. It might just be a small remarque and it might be nothing, he was making no promises. I was thrilled to even be having that conversation!  

Later that day I saw that Mike was penciling what looked like a head sketch of Snake-Eyes and I couldn't believe it! I checked in with him and he confirmed that it had turned into more than a remarque and he would have it done the next day. 

The next day I watched from a distance as he brought this piece to life! I was completely blown away when I picked this up! Once of those times you feel like a small child meeting someone famous, it was something else! I tried to express just how grateful I was but I'm not sure he understood. 

This might not be the fanciest Snake-Eyes artwork you'll ever see but this really does mean the world to me! The shadows on the uniform are just so bold and Mike Zeck! The details in the sword and bandolier are extremely perfect! Just the pose and shape of the body are spot on! And best of all, Mike seemed pleased with his work! It doesn't get any better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment