Nuke-Simek: The Cranboyz Pointman!

Thursday, June 22, 2023

Yo Joe June, Day 22: Zartan!

 I can't stress enough, when an artist is a fan and wants to draw a character for you, have them do it! This isn't the first piece by Brian Hurtt in my GI Joe sketchbook but this one always blows me away! 

Yo Joe June, Day 22: Zartan by Brian Hurtt! 


Brian Hurtt did this for me at Heroes Con in 2010! This was during a time when it seems like we saw Brian 2-3 times a year! You know, before he got famous on awesome books like the Sixth Gun and Shadow Roads! Brian's still around but he's busier these days and we don't have time to hang out and talk comics like we used to. Or talk about GI Joe!

Brian was very excited I had a GI Joe sketchbook and there were a few characters he made it clear that he'd love to draw! One of them was, Zartan! I sort of saved Zartan for him until we crossed paths at Heroes and man, oh man! 

I'm mostly a comic book GI Joe fan, and less of a cartoon GI Joe fan, so Zartan should be deadly and sneaky and kind of mean! Zartan in a tree, waiting to take out his target with an arrow? Yeah, that works! 

Brian's a master with those inks and washes and this piece really shows it off! The leaves in the background spotlight Zartan nicely and the shadows on Zartan are just the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment