Nuke-Simek: The Cranboyz Pointman!

Friday, June 23, 2023

Yo Joe June, Day 23: Scarlett!

I've always enjoyed the character of Scarlett, she's always been portrayed as strong, physically and emotionally and she's always been at the forefront of GI Joe. I also enjoy her relationship with Snake-Eyes (Sorry Duke fans but I'm a comic book fan before being a cartoon fan)! 

Yo Joe June, Day 23: Scarlett by Shannon Gallant! 

I don't actually have a ton of artwork featuring Scarlett. Maybe because as much as I enjoy her character, in my book she's number two to Lady Jaye! There's still no denying she's cool and one of the stars of GI Joe. She gets a lot of time in the spotlight and is probably one of the Top 10 recognizable characters from the franchise. 

Speaking of the franchise, Shannon Gallant is part of the longest running creative team on the GI Joe comic books! GI Joe is what made me aware of Shannon's work and I've had the pleasure of meeting him several times at conventions. I have a few sketches from him and all I can say is that you're missing out because I'm only sharing this one, for now! 

This one didn't actually come from a convention, this is from an online auction to support Breast Cancer Awareness in 2010. Shannon donated 3 original pieces that year, all of Scarlett, but I immediately knew this was the one I wanted. The toned paper really makes everything pop with his detailed inks and marker washes, Wow! Shannon really brought this image to life and in addition to being a badass shot of Scarlett (Even with the photo of Snake-eyes tucked into her belt!), the money went to a great cause, as well (Note the right side of Scarlett's hair is laying in the shape of the Breast Cancer Awareness ribbon). 

And if you aren't familiar with Shannon and his work, shame on you! I already said he was on the longest run of GI Joe! Go look thru some of your GI Joe comics and you can check out his website! He even has a section for, GI Joe! 

https://slgallant.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment