Nuke-Simek: The Cranboyz Pointman!

Sunday, June 25, 2023

Yo Joe June, Day 25: Outback!

 Outback is one of those characters that seems to just work for everyone. He didn't get used much in the Marvel Comics or the cartoon but everyone seems to think he's pretty cool and accepts him. Which is great, because he is cool! 

Yo Joe June, Day 25, Outback by Ron Frenz! 


Ron Frenz is exactly the kind of artist I want to see on a super hero title! The guy not only gets it, he gets it with style! Ron cut his teeth in the trenches of the Marvel Bullpen and I don't think he's forgotten a single thing he's learned along the way! Ron has drawn pretty much every character at Marvel and a good chuck at DC! That being said, I always thought it was kind of odd the Ron didn't do much for GI Joe when it was at Marvel, just a pin-up of Gung-Ho in issue 126. 

Knowing that Ron can draw anyone in comics, I decided to add him to my GI Joe sketchbook in 2015. At this point I think IDW had Ron do a few covers but the whole idea of getting sketches is to have the artist do who you want! 

I don't remember there being much debate about choosing a character for Ron. Outback is a character I needed and I thought Ron would do a great job! Outback exudes a tough-guy feel and Ron can certainly draw some tough guys! 

I gotta say, Ron delivered in a way I wasn't expecting! Everything about this just looks perfect! From the creases in his pants, to his gear, to his gun and his beard, Outback was the right character for Ron! This guy looks like he's ready to get into some kind of trouble and the kind of guy you don't want to mess with! 

I do remember that Ron was excited that he got to tap into his John Buscema mental archives and bring some of that to this sketch! It just tells me that GI Joe needs more Ron Frenz!

No comments:

Post a Comment