Nuke-Simek: The Cranboyz Pointman!

Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Yo Joe June, Day 21: Gung-Ho!

Gung-Ho was a character that always intrigued me. I think it was the fact that in the comic books and on his file card (Thanks for both of those, Larry Hama!) he was one of the first GI Joe members who really seemed tough! Like the kind of guy who would kick your ass for looking at him the wrong way! 

Yo Joe June, Day 21: Gung-Ho by Ron Wagner! 


Ron Wagner not only enjoyed a healthy run on Marvel's GI Joe and GI Joe Special Missions, he drew so many great super hero comic books! Morbius, Nth Man, Ghost Rider, Punisher, it seemed like he drew almost every title in the lat 80s and early 90s! Having drawn so many issues of GI Joe, I had to have something from Ron in my collection! 

I've never had the chance to meet Ron but luckily for me, Catskill Comics (https://catskillcomics.com/) handles Ron's commissions and original art sales! This isn't my first GI Joe commission from Ron, I'm saving that one for a future post, but this one's too cool not to share! 

Ron created such an impressive commission of Gung-Ho! He brought all the grittiness and power I think of him having, with some minor updates that are just perfect! That grenade launcher is exactly the upgrade I'd expect Gung-Ho to make and the uniform and attitude just rock!  

This piece not only delivers everything I could have wanted, it also proves that Ron Wagner has only gotten better over the years!

No comments:

Post a Comment